Thursday, January 18, 2007

To Strike or Not To Strike

I have been wrestling with an interesting dilemma as a teacher, as a professional, as a Christian, and as a colleague. Last week, the union set a strike date for February 15. The BTU has been in talks with the city for some time now and believes we will not make serious progress. As a matter of fact, tomorrow morning, I'm being asked to picket for the first 20 minutes of the day. That will lead up to the strike which still needs to be ratified on February 14. To add fuel to the fire, the superintendent sent a letter threatening teachers with everything, including criminal prosecution and loss of licensure.

The question is: on which side of the picket line should I stand? The issues are fairly straight-foward: Health Care coverage and Class Size Caps. On the one hand, I want to support my colleagues and the people who work so hard to make sure I get my "fair" due. As a matter of fact, I'm very grateful to the union because I receive a comfortable pay and benefits package now, as well as very reasonable work requirements. I also don't want to lose any friends who feel strongly about the issue.

On another hand, I didn't come here to teach in order to get a comfortable work arrangement or good health coverage. I'm a teacher because that's what God wants me to do. I would work in the same school even if I were being payed a lot less. Sriking is against the law for public workers. I don't want to break a law either.

It comes down to the fact that I don't feel passionately enough about the issue to break the law, but my colleagues do. Do I alienate myself from them? What would happen if I crossed the picket line? Would my colleagues understand?

Maybe the answer is simple. Just get sick on the day of the strike and request a sick day. That way, I won't be breaking the law, and I won't alienate my fellow teachers. The more I look at it, the better I like that solution. Anyone have a communicable disease they can give me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sheesh! stop talking about god and stuff.

Steve said...

I can't =)

Anonymous said...

As a senior Boston Teacher let me explain the drill. The BPS budget has already been determined at City Hall. Every 4 years we have a one day strike. This year has been nastier than usual because the “acting” Superintendent, Mike C, disrespects teachers who do not teach at Boston Latin (of course, they have exam students and are not hindered by “block scheduling,” “workshop,” or "unsupported inclusion” students.)

This is his “swan song” when the new superintendent comes in, Mike C is history. It is his way of screwing the BTU. Look what he did to English High School! After saturating the school with non-English speaking bilingual kids and special needs students, EHS became “underperforming," Mike C gave EHS staff an ultimatum, “Vote to become a Commonwealth Pilot” using his plan or “Vote to be underperforming and I’ll put this plan into place and you will have even less rights!”

Those staff that remain will have to do 100 hours of professional development for free! In September, an EHS teachers day will extend, unpaid, an extra two hours (an additional teaching period and meeting period)! Basically, teachers are indentured and providing the BPS with a free after school program and saving the city over a million dollars!

This is a hard pill to swallow when you consider the teachers at the Timilty, Edwards, and Irving are paid $12,000. (plus retirement) for their extended day. O'Bryant teachers receive $1,500. for "Advisory" which EHS teachers will be doing for free as part of their "indenture."

Don’t call in sick! Stand with your colleagues and fight for the respect that the BPS will steal from you the first chance it gets! remember even Jesus kicked the moneychangers out of the Temple!