Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Applying to Seminary: How Do I Know I'm Called?

This is me entering credit card data in payment for my application to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. It has been quite a road over the last few months as I pondered and prayed about whether or not to leave my first career passion, public school education, and pursue a theology degree for full-time ministry. The answer, as you can see, is yes. I have resigned my job, effective Sept '08; I am applying for seminary and, if it's God's plan, I'll attend Gordon-Conwell in the fall.

I am excited! At first, I was more nervous than excited--when it wasn't quite clear yet that this was the decision God was pointing me towards. I thought about how to explain it to my boss. I wondered what my parents would say. I was concerned about the money. I thought about how it might affect my girlfriend. Where would I live? What would the next four years look like? Am I the type of person who could do the work of shepherding? And honestly, I lamented the possibility that I would never reach my full potential as a public school teacher. But, most of all, I was unsure if this was a "calling."

I began having conversations with people. In November, I spoke to my boss to ask his opinion. He encouraged me and prayed for me. I began talking to my mother. She didn't agree with the direction, but encouraged me anyway. Almost everyone I spoke to encouraged me. I continued to pray.

Finally, after Christmas, it became clear: It's not grammar, reading, writing, even critical thinking or self expression that I'm most passionate about. Those things are really important and we need teachers who are passionate about those things. If anything, it was always the lives of the students I taught that were more important to me. Instead, I have always been more invested in the church ministries I served in, seeing those as powerful avenues through which God could draw youths into the church and into relationship with him. I could also see how God has been preparing me by involving me in Project Destiny, Vietnamese Alliance Church, and BCEC's youth ministry over the past few years.

I still don't know if this constitutes a call, but knowing my desire to go to seminary came from a heart to bring glory to God helped me feel at peace with finally filling out the application two weeks ago. When I finally resigned my position last week, I not only felt peace, but real excitement. And when I told my mom this past weekend over lunch, she was pretty enthusiastic too. Even writing about it right now, I've got this growing sense of "I can't wait to get started!" and an urge to praise God all the more! I'll be at least 30 by the time I'm done with the Masters of Divinity, but whatever years I have left after that, it will be enough for whatever purpose that God has in mind.

If you could, would you please pray that:

  1. God would continue to confirm his leading of me in this way?
  2. I would have words to say as I try to explain all this to my dad who is not a believer?
  3. Also, please pray that as I make big life decisions over the few months, I'll be granted wisdom and faith.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Ruth Vi said...

teehee Steve. that's awesome! I always thought you didn't talk about English and your job enough with us! haha you know what my brother and I's reaction to this is... HIRE STEVE! =D but whatever GOD wants! I'll be praying.. even though i tad biased of course =) GOD BLESS!