Sunday, October 22, 2006

What's Your Neighborhood Like?

So I assigned our first portfolio assignment last month: a descriptive essay about your neighborhood. I was pretty pleased with the level of description and detail in most of the essays. Generally, the Black and Hispanic kids paint a more stark and gritty picture of Boston than the Chinese kids do, but one essay written by one of the Chinese boys stuck out to me more than others-- here are a few excerpts, unedited:

My parents are rasist so I can't go out because I'll get "shot."....

One night, as I was about to sleep. I heard "PUT YOUR *****ING HANDS UP" Engines roared, tired screached, guns were being fired and sirens were singing. That night 3 people died. Mayor Menino said that he would hire more police. I dont think he ever did.

Here, in the inner city, amidst ignorance, critical minds are developing-- kids who think about race and the sinister assumptions that lie behind seemingly innocent comments like "you'll get shot." Not only that, but as 12 year olds, they are learning to connect their local experience with political and social responsibilities. It just goes to show, diamonds do grow out of the rough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RACIST!!