Thursday, October 30, 2008

Teaching Once Again

It has been some time, but I am finally going back to teaching this Friday. I'll be giving a sermon to the youth from Jonah 1:4-16. The prep so far has been going well and I'm looking forward to sharing God's word once again.

While looking over old sermons, I realized that I have picked up several habits that I previously didn't have. I have developed a Christocentric hermeneutical preference-- i.e. I look for the places where grace, substitutionary atonement, and other Jesus-related themes occur in the passage regardless of whether or not it explicitly speaks of Christ. I have also begun to minimize my use of illustrations as a teaching tool. Perhaps on the other end of habits is my tendency to run out of time for preparation. Hopefully seminary will, somehow, have an indirect impact on my teaching so that I could more accurately and faithfully share Christ with the junior highers.

I'll be prepping from now until tomorrow night. If you get the chance, please pray for me!

No comments: