Wednesday, March 04, 2009

When you have no money...

When I arrived at seminary, several people I talked to spoke of the money-saving virtue of cutting your own hair. Down to my last $___, I finally thought I'd give it a try. Emily was visiting, and on a whim decided to help me complete my seminary experience. I know many of you may be strapped for cash, too, in these hard times, and I want to encourage you to consider the possibilities. It took 3 hours, but I'm sure once you get some practice it goes a lot quicker. I considered not posting these, but when I was assured that this was an integral part of the seminary experience, I decided to share:

At one point, a mistake occurred that appeared irredeemable. My hair was contoured with locks of hair on the back of my head much shorter than the hair on the side of my head! I was ready to shave it all off... but with expert craftsmanship, my new favorite hair-stylist fixed it. It strikes me that, Biblically and in my own experience, just when you think you're done, God is just getting started. He is the master hair-stylist... or potter. (no, emily didn't take her hair off and put it on mine, so that she had bad hair and I had good hair... this is not an illustration of substitutionary atonement!)

p.s. this is not a subtle plea for financial support... really, it's not!

9 comments:

D said...

you know you could just shave your head...takes like 10 minutes.

Jessica said...

I love the last picture. You two are SO CUTE!

jerry said...

i like the... portable DVD player in the first picture? i'm actually not sure what that is.

Steve said...

I guess I could shave my head... but my head has a weird shape. I tried when I was in middle school.

Thanks Jess... so is that popsicle you're holding.

The "DVD Player" is actually an i-pod portable video player, which P. Enoch donated to the cause recently. It has served me well... think of the possibilities: listening to sermons in the shower, watching episodes of 24 while on the John, etc.

m said...

are you sure that's a popsicle, steve? it looks like a corndog to me. and oh... your reply comment to jerry is bordering on tmi.

Steve said...

For the record-- I have never actually watched an episode or any other show in an unexpected place. I was merely conjecturing on the possibilities that spring from a piece of technology.

Jeff said...

i like your shirt

Steve said...

Thanks, Jeff. I like my shirt too.. it's fading though. Just like the 2004 victory...and 2007 victory.

Daniel K. Eng said...

shave shave shave shave shave!