Thursday, September 10, 2009

Moving Back In

Year Two of seminary begins tomorrow. I'll be moving into my room tonight and getting ready for my first class Hebrew, which starts tomorrow. Energy-wise, I am ready-- as I relearned this summer, three weeks of rest is more than enough. But I've forgotten a lot of my Greek and studying seems like a foreign concept after an action-packed summer. There is a mental shift I need to make to get back into student-mode.

It is exciting to get back into structure and purpose. There are many things I miss about Project Destiny, but one of them is waking up every day to see the same people, following a predictable routine, with every minute of the day directed purposefully toward ministering the Gospel. I'm looking forward to applying that same kind of focus once again to my studies.

This semester, I'll be taking my first preaching class! I'm not sure exactly how long I've been preaching God's word-- perhaps only three years, but it feels longer. Nevertheless, I've never taken a real class in preaching; and aside from some tips from a few pastors, I've mostly just picked up techniques from listening to others. I'm eager for God to use Dr. Gibson and the class to shape the way I preach.

Finally, I will mention a fellow seminary blogger whom some of you will know: the venerable Doctor Chu has joined me, along with a few other guys I know from my home church, BCEC. Calvin's blog is http://calvin-at-seminary.blogspot.com/. I hope you will hop on over to his site and pray for him; but please continue to read my blog and pray for me! It's like McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A: you don't have to choose one over the other.

Please drop me a note if there is some way I can be praying for you as you pray for me.

2 comments:

Daniel K. Eng said...

ahh, the blended apprehension and thrill of a new school year. enjoy these moments, my friend.

Greek will come back to you more quickly than you think. =)

Steve said...

You were right. The Greek is coming back quickly. I'll be studying James, so I better brush up on the imperative =P