Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Preparing for Winter Youth Retreat

Talks between the union and the district continue to stall. It looks more and more likely that there will be a strike on Thursday... unless a winter storm can save us! (It's coming)

Meanwhile, no matter what happens in the next few days, I'll be bringing some youths to a retreat in New Hampshire on Friday. We'll be enjoying some time away from the city while listening for the still, small voice. It's good to know that at the end of this intense week, there will be time to do the work that is really important-- mentoring and shepherding the youth to grow in loving the Lord. This will be my third year attending this retreat as a youth worker, eighth year overall.

When I was in 8th grade, attending this same retreat was one of the things that God used to turn my life around. Back then, it was at Singing Hills, NH-- I remember the power in truth that seemed to grab me during sermons about having clean hands and pure heart. I remember the warmth I felt in being accepted by everyone there, especially the youth workers, like T. Lo who was my counselor. Sure, snow-football and tubing was a blast. Believe me, when you're small, any tubing hill seems huge to you. But more importantly than all that, it was there that I was first convicted of my sin and my need for a savior.

I hope this weekend will be like that for some kid-- maybe for a few. I hope they have fun and enjoy being cared for by other kids and counselors. At the heart of it all, however, I really hope they will understand that their sin is worse than they realize, but that they are loved more greatly than they could ever imagine.

No comments: