Friday, July 20, 2007

Cold River Trout


Last week, I got to take an all day fishing trip out on the Cold River. Fishing with a guy named Stever, I caught 18 fish-- some small as my middle finger and some so large I had a hard time holding them with both hands. The largest was an 18'' Brown Trout (below), but the most exciting was the 16'' Brook Trout (above) because of its coloration and the fact that Brookies generally don't get much bigger than your hand. There was one more pretty big fish that I caught (not pictured). There was a pocket of still water across some fast current, so I casted out there, knowing I'd only have a brief window of opportunity for a strike because of how fast the current was going. I don't think I'm boasting to say that most fishermen can't make that cast because you have to cast in such a way that your fly doesn't move despite the raging current behind it. Well, I made the cast and within a second, a got this HUGE strike. I set the hook, played the fish, and brought him in. I must say, the fish out there on the Cold River are amazingly strong fighters. The large fished averaged about 40 seconds for me to pull in.


Besides fishing, my Vermont days have been filled up, recently, with sailing, painting the church, praying for direction, star-gazing, and even a little planning and preparation for Septemeber. Do long vacations make you more rested or just lazier? I am not sure, since this is my first one since becoming a teacher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.