Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Pre-dawn Browns and How I Spend the Days

Sunday Morning: The cell phone rang at 5:15AM. It was my alarm that I had set the night before, reminding me to meet a fishing protege at Otter Creek. Despite a strong temptation to ditch-- late night conversation the night before-- I drove out to find... nobody at the stream side.


Nevertheless, I was out there, so I donned my gear, and trudged sleepily into the water. I was soon awakened by the spray of the waterfalls, although my Tilley Hat shielded me from most of it. Silently, I tied on a size 14 Elkwing Caddis, tested out a few false-casts, and let the fly fly. There are days when you know you'll catch fish-- and this was one of them. In the eerie stillness, there was a sudden murmur near my Elkwing. I lifted the rod, hard, and set the hook. And because fish don't scream in panic, and because dignified fishermen don't whoop in thrill, the whole ensuing struggle transpired in a heart-thumping silence that can't be found anywhere else. I caught 9 that morning before church started.



On how I spend my time:
I've received a few inquiries regarding how I spend time while on a break. It is a little strange having such a long stretch of time free from responsibilities, but I have a schedule I try to adhere to whenever I don't have another commitment.

8:00- Wake up (earlier on fishing trip days), pray, read and meditate on 1 Corinthians; shower, breakfast, study a book (Randy Alcorn or Richard Foster), make a list of things to do for the day

9:30- Walk to library and check e-mail, read news

10:15-Begin whatever planned for the day
-1 really fun thing (travel to VT towns, fishing trip, hike, visit someone)
-1 practical thing (sermon prep, blog, help someone, curriculum plan, laundry)
-1 sentimental thing (get a cremee, take a walk, go to a pub, sit in town)
-journal (setting priorities, goals, reflecting, writing down lessons)

12:30-Lunch at home or out

1:30- Continue plans for the day

5:30- Fish locally or listen to Red Sox

8:30- Dinner, possibly meet with a friend

9:30- Go to library, e-mail, check news

10:30-Return "Home" and settle in for the night.

"Home" is very plain-- a blank, corner room with 2 windows, a closet, and a simple desk. My bed is a mat on the floor, which is rolled up every morning. Its bareness is refreshing and frames my days with focus and simplicity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.