Sunday, May 04, 2008

Serving Communion

I felt chills today while serving communion. BCEC serves communion on the first Sunday of each month. On those weeks, I usually take my communion first, after the sermon, and head to the back of the room with the bread to serve the rest of the congregation. When people come up, I'm supposed to address them, saying, "Victor, this is the Body of Christ broken for you." And then they move on to the cup, where Calvin is supposed to say, "Victor, this is the Blood of Christ shed for you."

Usually, it's a sort of mundane service to perform. I make it more exciting for myself by seeing how many names I can recall. As a matter of fact, I used to try to avoid it when the old pastor asked me to serve because I had a hard time remembering people's names on the spot.

But today, after about the 15th recipient, I started getting a sense of the enormity of what we were saying: "This is the Body of Christ broken for you! This is the Blood of Christ shed for you!" Look what you have done: you are a sinner so wretched that the Son of God had to die for you! Look how much you're worth: God sent his son to die for you!

And the one-two combination of Calvin and I greeting the recipients became a rolling chant, proclaiming the gospel over and over again while strains of "Amazing Grace" sang in the background. So, I remembered once again what an amazing thing it is to have your life saved by somebody who died doing it. What a privilege-- I was allowed to preach the gospel to about forty people today, one person at a time! Praise God for his reminders of what Grace is.

No comments: