Friday, April 25, 2008

Vacation, Executive Directorship, Scholarship

April Vacation is just about over-- and it was a pretty good one. I visited good friends in Vermont, hung out with my girlfriend, saw a Sox game, fished, skied in 70 degree weather, and had a $200 dinner date at a fancy French restaurant called Aujourd'hui (I didn't pay-- she had a gift-certificate from work!) During these last days of rest, I'm mentally preparing for the storm that will be May, June, July, and August. My series at VAC got postponed, but I still have 2 sermons to prep over this next week.

By now, most of you who read this know that Project Destiny (a summer urban youth camp ministry) is a big part of what I pray for, think about, and do. Over the past few years, I've been helping to run it as a part of a director board. During our last meeting, we finalized a decision to name me Executive Director over Project Destiny. I've been involved in the camp for more than 10 years and I my heart still flutters when I think of what good God will do in and through the staff team that he assembles. It will be a challenging summer. My pastor recently asked me how I felt about this. My answer: "I trust God." In the end, that's all I can say-- I have no real reason to believe that I am the perfect candidate or that I won't fail miserably. If I say, "I can do it," it is a lie because that's honestly not how I feel. But I can trust God to lead me to glorify him in success or in failure... "as it is my earnest expectation and hope that I will not at all be ashamed, but that now, as always, Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or death." As before, I will try to post updates here throughout the summer and I appreciate your prayers.

On the seminary front, I am indeed going to Gordon-Conwell next year. On top of that, I am receiving a significant scholarship that will cover a third of my projected costs for next year. I am exceedingly grateful to see how God is encouraging me by removing obstacles and opening doors. This scholarship, called the Partnership Program requires me to build a support team and to fund raise. I will, at some point, post more about the program; but if you would like to be a support partner for me to attend seminary, please contact me by comment or the usual channels. Thanks!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

what are we all looking at? we're so dark...