Thursday, June 29, 2006

Changes Part II: End of VAC Service


It hasn't really sunk in, yet, that my time at Dorchester is over. This past Sunday was my last day there-- my last sermon, last time worshipping together with everyone, last time hearing the worship team lead. We're the kind of church that is small in numbers, but big in heart and strong in community. I know I'll miss the process of seeking God's vision for the church and working with other dedicated lay-people to serve the Lord and each other.

Over the past year, God has used me there to accomplish a great deal, but he's also used those at the church to accomplish a great deal in me as well. When I started going there, I was just Duy's Shadow. The Lord taught me how to handle cross-cultural relationships-- even with different cultures that are right here in the same city that I live in. He grew in me a willingness to love the youth. They weren't really anybody in my eyes when I first arrived, but now they all have permenant indentations on my heart and mind-- like a spot on a carpet after the heavy furniture is lifted from it. He also made me preach more than I ever did before and now I'm no longer as nervous about taking on a sermon


Vi, School, and Uyen said a few words after my sermon and the youth gave me some gifts, which will serve to remind me to pray for them every so often. All of you TYGers will be well missed, but definitely prayed for=). We've grown a lot together and gone through a lot as a group-- remember to keep running for the Lord don't be a bystander in life.

Although I went there to do youth ministry, I'll also miss my adult and young adult friends that I met there. For those that I consider my peers, your presence was always a support for me and your friendship lifted me up... random BBQ's, outings, late night restaurant dining, meetings to find our first English Minister, visits to Boston churches in the dead of winter... Thank You.

I'm leaving to see how God wants me to serve in Chinatown at this time. How can I bring the Gospel of Grace to my "hood?" I hope that you at VAC will seek do the same for yours. If we run after him, who knows where and when the Lord will choose to have us cross paths again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

coolness man. we'll miss you. GOD bless