Saturday, June 10, 2006

Junior High Ministry


It's like sitting on an egg-- that's how I've once heard junior high ministry described to me. You plan activities and have discussions, and often, you have very little idea whether or not anything is happening inside the egg. Working with the boys, especially, who don't tend to share that much as a group, it can make you wonder whether or not your efforts are helping at all. Tonight was like that... we had a lot of activity: responses to questions, a skit practice, basketball, wiffleball... but I always feel like we could be doing more to nurture our youth.

I came to know the Lord when I was in junior high youth group-- the very same BCEC group where I now serve. I hadn't gone to church before that, but I kept coming back for social reasons-- the other kids were friendly and I was interested in some of the girls. For some reason, those Friday nights became the thing that kept me afloat through some tough times at home and really boring, tedious days at school. Eventually, the Gospel rose through the haze of Friday activities and penetrated my cluttered heart and mind.

I wonder what it was like for my counselors. Did they wonder if anything was happening inside of me during those times that I came for reasons other than learning about God? Did they realize that Friday nights were the bright point in an otherwise pretty tough existence? I wonder if my youths have the same thing going on, or if they are completely different.

See, they're really distracted and superficial sometimes and it can be frustrating because you want some kind of breakthrough. But all you can really do is continue to model Christ, pray, and love them consistantly. One day, the egg will hatch and you'll see how God used those efforts.

1 comment:

SteveB said...

Hey Steve. I know exactly what you mean, though it isn't just for junior high ministry. By all counts, CF at Midd can be said to be "doing well" and even "growing" and such. But at least several times a week I feel exactly like I'm sitting on an egg, trying to keep it warm and nourish it and coax it and who knows what will happen. I try to remember that faithfulness is what we're called to, not results. It can be hard sometimes, especially when some Christians, or some Christian organizations, see results as the real goal. So, keep on sitting on that egg, my friend. (Wow, never thought I'd use that phrase outside of a chicken joke, but there you go.)