Monday, June 19, 2006

Pray for Boston

As those of us who live here know, violent crimes involving youth have been on a rise since the end of last year here in Boston. Almost daily, there is news of yet another homicide, another shooting, or stabbing in one of the neighborhoods. From the battle over those "stop snitching" shirts to the gang insignias tatooed onto our school hallway walls, the culture of violence and crime is pervasive-- and well marketed to our youth.

This week, it hit a bit closer to home:

-People don't usually think of street gangs in today's Chinatown, but it looks like we might have a gang just forming up in the courtyard area of my apartment now. The other night, some neighbors heard what sounded like a gun shot from the kids.

-A couple nights ago, there was an argument over a girl in the hallway downstairs and when I went down to check if everything was ok, there was blood all over the hallway and a young man doubled over in distress.

-While taking a walk on Saturday, I ran into a group of students I know from all different contexts-- my school kids, my BCEC youth, and my VAC youth-- and they were hanging out together, all wearing gang colors. I was told later by one of them that they believe themselves to be affiliated with the Bloods. It was a real blow to me because a few of those students were kids that I think very highly of and care for a good deal.

-A girl who has been in and out of our church in Dorchester was shot and killed last week in front of her home. Many of the young people at VAC knew her well from Vacation Bible School.

Each new report brings with it sadness and frustration for people who live here. With the heat of the summer setting in, it doesn't seem like it will get any better soon. Now is a good time for Christians to remember to pray for the city and consider serving in the community in some way. We need for God's grace and healing to touch the areas of Boston where there is brokeness and hate. Please pray-- and if you're wondering how you can get involved=).... talk to me. I've got some ideas in mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boston needs a lot of prayer.. AMEN!