Monday, July 31, 2006

Project Destiny Update 5: Good News and Staff Update

Remember Samson, the student I wrote about a few weeks ago? He prayed to receive Christ this past week! For me, it seemed to be the answer to many prayers and a confirmation that the Holy Spirit was at work in the different circumstances I had recounted. It happened after a conversation between him and another counselor. Samson realized that he believed everything that a Christian does and that he did not need to first be "good" in order to accept Christ as Savior. So right then and there, he prayed and professed faith. Afterwards, he told me, "Mr. Liu, I just became a Christian!" He was noticeable happy the rest of the day.

Aside from that story, it was a roller coaster week for the counselors. Many were tired and some were carrying the weight of burdens and sorrows. Sometimes, especially after you've spent so much time together every day, you wish you could carry their weights for them.
I've really grown to love this team a lot. When you read over applications in the winter and spring, you try your best to get a sense of each person's strengths, weaknesses, passions and needs. You try to imagine what the team will be like and how the personalities will come into play; but the result usually ends up being a surprise. It's only after you live, work, and grow with each person that you have a chance to really care about them.

The first year that I was a counselor, in '97, this kind of community was new to me, so I really missed the team when PD was over. The same is true again this year-- but maybe even more so. I feel the end of camp nearing and I know I'll miss this team.

Please pray for us this week as the final week is upon us. It is truly crunch time for the different programming elements we have. Also, we try to make final push to point the campers towards Jesus Christ while integrating them into our regular youth ministries. On Friday, we had a huge turnout at the Junior High youth group event-- 67 students! Pray that this would only be the beginning as we try to keep up our relationships with these students.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PD '97.

Good times.